Mobile Phone Hygiene
SMART phones; they’re addictive, emit radiation and have a negative impact on our physical and mental health. To be a safe and informed consumer it is important for you to familiraise yourself with:
- SAM (Specific Anthropomorphic Mannequin designed to test the EMF radiation that mobile phones emit to determine how the radiation effects a human brain).
- Mobile Phone Safety Standards, SAR values and industry bias.
- Solutions to that mitigate the risks to your health.
Mobile Phone Safety Standards
Who Is SAM?
SAM is a Specific Anthropomorphic Mannequin that was created to test the biological effects of mobile phone radiation on a human brain.
Facts about SAM:
- SAM isn’t an average-sized bloke. In fact he is 97% bigger than all mobile phone users. The size of his head is based on the top 10% of U.S. military recruits. If he had a body, he would be 6’2″ and weigh 220 pounds.
- SAM is very careful to use his mobile phone at least 5mm away from his ear, at a very specific 15 degrees angle. SAM isn’t very chatty on the phone, he never spends more than 6 minutes on a call.
- SAM head is full of sugar, sat and water. This apparently simulates the average human brain.
- SAMs head gets exposed to the highest amount of RF radiaion a phone can produce (a perfeclty new phone with no smashed screens or damage) for 6 minutes. Then, a probe looks at how much the phone has increased the tempreature of SAMs liquid brain. If the tempreature increases 2 degrees or less then the phone is deemed safe and the SAR falls within FCC safety guidelines.
SAR ratings are a measure of how much average radiation is being absorbed over 1 gram of human tissue. This is calculated in W/kg (Watts per kilogram of bodyweight). The original researcher who developed SAR ratings, Om P. Gandhi, observed that rats whose brain temperature rose by more than 2 degrees suddenly stopped eating.
This research formed the basis of the SAR safety limit of 2.0 W/kg and 1.6 W/kg. However, many scientists insist that these limits are too lenient and allow radiation exposures that have been shown to have adverse effects in hundreds of peer reviewed published studies.
The SAR test is only relevant to heating effects of cell phone and wireless radiation. SAR limits do not consider the large amount of scientific evidence that indicates heating is not the only harm from cell phone radiation. Seemingly “low” cell phone radiation levels (far below SAR limits) that do not induce measurable changes in heat can have adverse impacts on biological systems. Cancer, reproductive damage, neurodegenerative diseases, enhanced production of damaging free radicals and reactive oxygen species, membrane weakening, and damage to heat shock proteins are all non-thermal effects that have been found to occur following cell phone radiation exposures at levels far below SAR regulatory limits. SAR limits do not adequately protect public health.
How to Stay Within SAR Guidlines:
- Be a 6’2″, 220 pound military man.
If you have a smaller head, are a shorter man, a woman or a child… you’ll exceed the limits.
- Always use your phone at least 5mm away from your head.
Some phones SAR values are even tested at larger distances, as make sure to read the fine print inside your phone to determine the safe distance.
- Only use your phone for 6 minutes a day, maximum,
If you use your phone for longer than 6 minutes you will exceed SAR guidelines.
- Never keep your phone in your pocket, in your hand or in your bar.
You will expose yourself to radiation that is not accounted for by SAR guidelines.
- Dont have ears.
SAR values only measure the radiation that gets into your brain, the potential absorption of your skin and ears are not included in SAR guidelines.
- Have a liquid brain.
SAR guidelines are based on those with brains made from water, sugar and salt. If your brain consists of matter, then SAR guidelines do not apply to you.
- Never use a phone case.
Brain Tumor Risk
Several research studies of humans indicate that long-term cell phone use could increase a person’s risk for brain tumors. The latest animal study conducted by the U.S. government finds increases in the same types of tumors found to be increased in humans who used phones regularly for a decade or longer.
The World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B) in 2011, based on epidemiological research showing an increased risk for glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer , associated with long term wireless phone use. These research studies also show an even higher risk for persons who start using cell phones at a young age.
In the Interphone study, those who used a mobile phone for 10 or more years were found to be twice as likely to develop a brain tumor, a statistically significant finding. The heaviest users with the longest use had increased risk.
From 2015-2017 the 3rd leading cause of death in Australian children between the ages of 1-14 was brain cancer. Clearly, we, as a community, need to take greater precaution when exposing children to W.H.O-admitted carcinogens, such as wireless RF emissions from mobile phone.
- Studies show that children are more vulnerable to harmful effects from wireless radiation than adults.
- The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer’s 2013 Monograph on Radio frequency fields details the research showing how “the average RF energy deposition is twice as high in certain regions of children’s brains and up to 10 times higher in the bone marrow of children’s skulls, compared to energy deposition in adult brains and skulls.”
- A five year old can absorb sixty percent more microwave radiation than an adult.
- Children have thinner skulls (deeper penetration), more water in brain (conductor), and are of smaller size which allows greater absorption into bone and deeper tissues.
- Children have more vulnerable immune and neurological systems as they are not fully developed until early twenties.
- Cancers can have long latency periods (time from first exposure until diagnosis) and it will take decades before we know the full extent of health impacts from this radiation.
- Current standards were not developed with children’s vulnerabilities in mind.
UCLA researchers (Divan, et al 2008) studied 13,000 mothers and children and found that prenatal exposure to cell phones was associated with a higher risk for behavioral problems and hyperactivity in children. Scientists continue to conduct research on the human impact of wireless radiation exposure.
A study (Aldad, et al 2012) conducted at Yale University found that pregnant laboratory mice exposed to ordinary cell phone radiation produced offspring that were more hyperactive and had poorer memories compared to a control group that was not exposed. Dr. Hugh Taylor, Chair of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at Yale University School of Medicine and his team of researchers concluded that cell phone radiation had damaged neurons in the prefrontal cortex of the brain.
Dr. De-Kun Li’s 2018 prospective study of over 900 pregnant women showed a 3 fold increase in miscarriage rates with higher levels of everyday radio-frequency radiation exposure.
More than two hundred physicians, scientists and public health professionals from around the world have joined together to express their concern about the risk that wireless radiation poses to pregnancy and urge pregnant women to limit their exposures. View the Joint Statement on Pregnancy and Wireless Radiation
- Mobile Phone Studies
- Parents for Safe Technology
- SEEN Mobile Hygiene Checklist
- WeAreNotSam Facebook Page
- Cell Phone Radiation, Cancer and Science: Dr. Lennart Hardell Testifies at Danish Parliament
- Fine Print Warnings On Radiation Exposure In Cell Phone And Wireless Device Manuals
- Children are more vulnerable to cell phone radiation, they absorb 10 times more than adults in the bone marrow of the skull as pointed out by the American Academy of Pediatrics in an open letter to the FCC.
- The SAR Test Is Inadequate:
Why Do Scientists State That SAR Is Inadequate To Protect Cell Phone Users?
- Cell Phones and Breast Cancer: Breast Cancer in Young Women with Prolonged Contact between Their Breasts and Their Cellular Phones
- EHTrust: Cell Phone Radiation FAQ
Body-worn SAR testing has been carried out at a separation distance of 1.0 cm. To meet RF exposure guidelines during body-worn operation, the device should be positioned at least this distance away from the body.
Galaxy S5 user manual under SAR Value
To be sure that human exposure to RF energy does not exceed the FCC, IC, and European Union guidelines, always follow these instructions and precautions: Orient the device in portrait mode with the Home button at the bottom of the display, or in landscape mode with the cellular antenna away from your body or other objects.
Apple Ipad User Manual
To reduce exposure to RF energy, use a handsfree option, such as the builtin speakerphone, the supplied headphones, or other similar accessories. Carry iPhone at least 5mm away from your body to ensure exposure levels remain at or below the astested levels. Cases with metal parts may change the RF performance of the device, including its compliance with RF exposure guidelines, in a manner that has not been tested or certified.
Apple Iphone 6 User Manual
Usage precautions during 3G connection : Keep safe distance from pregnant women’s stomach or from lower stomach of teenagers. Body worn operation: Important safety information regarding radio frequency radiation (RF) exposure.To ensure compliance with RF exposure guidelines the Notebook PC must be used with a minimum of 20.8 cm antenna separation from the body.
Samsung Laptop User Manual
Top Australian Neurosurgeon: Mobile Phone Brain Tumor Risk
Oh SAM What A MAN
The NTP Studies
The National Toxicology Program (NTP) Chronic Carcinogenicity Studies of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation are the most comprehensive, carefully done research performed to date on the long term effects of radio frequency radiation from wireless devices such as cell phones.
This 10 year $25 million dollar study by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences was completed and peer reviewed March 26-28, 2018 in North Carolina. The animal research looked at long term, non-thermal exposure to radio frequency (RF) cell phone radiation. The series of studies demonstrated positive findings (adverse effects) as follows:
- A statistically significant increase in tumors of the heart (schwannomas), brain (malignant gliomas) and adrenal gland (pheochromocytomas)
- Increases in other organ tumors compared to controls (not statistically significant but noteworthy) for pancreas, prostate, pituitary, liver and lung
- DNA damage in rodents
- Cardiomyopathy similar to aging
- Adverse perinatal effects in some groups
Steps to Reduce the Risks
Set Airplane Mode to ON
Set airplane mode to ON, or turn your phone off when it is not in use. Especially at night while you sleep. This will dramatically reduce radiation emissions, helping you avoid unnecessary exposure.
Avoid Making Calls in Cars, Elevators or Buses
Making calls in cars, elevators, trains or buses amplifies the radiation exposure as the phone has to transmit at a higher power density due to its metal surrounds.
Disable "LTE" & "4G" Network Functions
Although “LTE” and “4G” produce faster download speeds, they emit a higher level of radiation. If you simply visit your phone’s cellular settings and disabling “LTE” and “4G”, your phone will automatically connect to the nearest “3G” network you can reduce radiation emsissions from your phone by up to 80%.
Consider Getting A Corded Landline
One of the best ways to reduce mobile phone radiation it to avoid using one all together. For this reason you may want to consider getting an old fashioned corded landline. This will allow you to make phone calls without the risk to your health.
Use Your Mobile on SPEAKER MODE
Use Your Phone on SPEAKER MODE Don’t put your mobile next to your head! Use your phone on speaker mode when taking calls to ensure you are limiting the amount of radiation exposure to your brain.
Don't Carry Your Phone Against Your Body
Reduce radiation exposure, especially to your reproductive organs, by storing your
phone away from your body. RF radiation from mobile phones has been linked with infertility, hormonal disruption and breast cancer. Mobile phone radiation can also interfere with pacemakers (interference with signals).
Keep An Eye On Signal Strength
The weaker your signal the more radiation your phone will emit. If you only have 1 out of 5 signal bars your phone will emit 10 to 1,000 times the amount of radiation to connect to distant cellphone towers.